Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 2 - Arrival in China

We made it. After three flights and 31 hours of travel, we arrived at the hotel. And boy, what a nice one. Interestingly, all the hotel staff have American first names on their nametags, and a keycard is required to turn on the room's electrical power. The drive from the airport to the hotel was interesting, as well. It was a mass of moving people in cars and trucks and motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles (with not a helmet in sight and no seat belts in the van we rode in), many stretches of which had no lanes indicated. Many times we scraped by a cyclist or a pedestrian just inches away. It was Sunday night at 9:30 PM, but there were people everywhere.

This afternoon at 3 PM I pick up my new son (3 AM Monday your time) at the Civil Affairs Office in Xi'An City. I keep shifting emotionally between excitement and anxiety. Guilt also gets thrown in there sometimes when I look at this huge change from his perspective. I hope I am doing the right thing, but I know in my heart that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment